The European Technology and Innovation Platform on Renewable Heating & Cooling (RHC-ETIP) brings together stakeholders from different renewable heating and cooling technologies from the solar thermal, biomass, geothermal and heat pump sectors – including the related industries such as district heating and cooling, thermal energy storage, and hybrid systems – to define a common strategy for increasing the use of renewable energy technologies for heating and cooling.
The European Solar Thermal Technology Platform (ESTTP) have been existing since 2005 and being coordinated by Solar Heat Europe. Building on the ESTTP’s experience, the RHC-Platform now consists of 5 Panels and leads the process towards the definition of a joint Vision and Strategic Research Agenda for the renewable heating and cooling sector.
The Platform has been officially endorsed by the European Commission in 2008. In 2016 it became a European Technology and Innovation Platform (ETIP) and was included as part of the European Commission’s New SET-Plan governance structure.
As an ETIP, the Platform carries out important tasks related to the SET Plan:
- Upon request of the Steering Group, propose measures at EU and/or national levels (including regional level) and/or by industry that seek to achieve the specific SET Plan action in the areas of their activities;
- Continue to establish and update Strategic Research and Innovation Agendas per technology area, from basic research to market uptake, identifying priorities in the short, medium and long term, considering the relevant EERA Joint Programmes; discuss where appropriate with the experts from MS/AC’s and Commission services;
- Identify priorities of cross-cutting nature: e.g. education & training, socio-economics aspects, international cooperation;
- Identify innovation barriers, notably those related to regulation and financing;
- Report on the implementation of R&I activities at European, national and industrial levels in order to support the work of SETIS;
- Develop knowledge-sharing mechanisms that help bringing R&I results to deployment.
RHC-ETIP’s platform publications:
- Common Vision for the Renewable Heating and Cooling sector in Europe: 2020 – 2030 – 2050
- Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda for Renewable Heating & Cooling
- Common Implementation Roadmap for Renewable Heating and Cooling Technologies
- Solar Heating and Cooling Technology Roadmap
- Strategic Research Priorities for Solar Thermal Technology
For the Technology Roadmaps and Strategic Research Priorities of other technologies, please visit the RHC-ETIP website: http://www.rhc-platform.org/publications/