The purpose of FROnT initiative was to promote a level playing field for Renewable Energy Sources – Heating and Cooling (RES-H&C) in Europe, and develop strategies for its greater deployment.
Created in March 2014 and co-funded by the IEE programme, FROnT was a consortium of national energy agencies, research institutes, NGOs and trade associations. This initiative strived to improve knowledge and understanding about the costs of heating and cooling, about how support schemes can be effectively designed, and about how information can be made clear and transparent for consumers. In order to support the efficient and cost-effective implementation of NREAPs, the FROnT initiative has identified strategic policy priorities at national and European levels which will support a stronger uptake of RES-H&C solutions. By researching existing support schemes and engaging with stakeholders, FROnT allowed to identify what makes support schemes successful in terms of design, implementation, operation and monitoring.
Furthermore, FROnT also aimed to improve transparency about cost of heating and cooling and its value. For that purpose, a common methodology for estimating the value of thermal energy was developed, comparing renewable and sustainable options with incumbent ones. The FROnT tools can assist European or national policy makers, consumers and installers in making better informed decisions, contributing to decarbonise the RES-H&C sector.
- The consortium identified and proposed strategic policy priorities aimed at exploring the potential of RES-HC in Europe until 2020, taking into account market conditions, technological potential, legislative and regulatory framework and policy measures that assists and/or flanks support and incentive schemes for RES-HC systems.
- By means of a structured dialogue between RHC industry, energy agencies and other experts, the consortium built a better & common understanding of the RHC sector and its main challenges, identified key success factors on the design, implementation, operation and monitoring of support schemes dedicated to RES-HC and targeted end-user’s key decision factors.
- The FROnT project designed a reliable basis for energy production value estimates that can provide objective criteria for legislation and support schemes across Europe. The assessment of levelized costs of heating and cooling was performed, and the online LCoHC calculation tool was published in order to measure up RES-HC solutions with the reference fossil fuels.
- The consortium identified the key decision factors for end-users when deciding on a heating and cooling solutions through surveys and developed several tools to promote informed decision and to be able to compare adequately the available options.
- Through an analysis of relevant factors for the determination of costs of heating and cooling, such as climatic or geological conditions, demand profiles, system performance, etc., and a well-established consultation process, the project developed a commonly agreed calculation method.
- Tools for consumers:
- RHC cost estimation tool
- Decision making tool
- Factsheets on RES-HC technologies
- Frequently Asked Questions about heating and cooling
- Project Partners: